Excerpt of a letter sent to Alfa Romeo CEO
If you went to BMW and said build be a BMW 3 Series 325 E30 from scratch they could probably do it. Yes, it would cost a fortune but they could do it. If I wanted an as new Alfa Romeo GTV 916 2.0 Twin Spark could Alfa Romeo? No, they couldn’t. Alfa Romeo needs to improve in all aspects of its network. It needs to carry spares, or be able to get them quickly for a number of models past and present, and it needs the dealer network to care. In the UK they don’t.
Another example is currently an Alfa Romeo dealer I know of has had only 1 4c to sell. Apparently the UK allocation of 4c’s has been awful. So while dealers look silly and Alfa Romeo marketing thinks they are building interest and exclusivity in the car, dealers are looking silly, customers are looking elsewhere. Hence why specialist car dealers are making a packet importing 4 c’s from other countries with a higher 4c allocation such as Australia.
Alfa Romeo Point By Point Rescue & Success Plan
• Limit the production of an SUV or scrap it entirely
• Full tip to toe evaluation and inspection of all UK Dealers
• Appoint Social Media and Alfa Romeo forum representative
• Encourage, support, and respond to customer feedback
• Overhaul and dramatically improve Customer Services incorporating above points
• Build a new Alfa Romeo Centre with showroom
• Dissolve current retail sales partnerships and have all Dealers being Alfa Romeo employees
• Improve and redesign existing and past model manufacturing for inadequate designs
• Improve existing and historic parts ordering and delivery process
• Work with Alfa Romeo Specialists, clubs, forums, and 3rd party manufactures to improve knowledge flow both ways (eg Powerflex) and work with them on social media sites
• 4c – Gain customer feedback on positives and negatives. Also survey whether manual gearbox, analogue instruments and US headlight clusters would be a welcome change.
• Scrap all diesel engine production and development
• Improve the quality of all plastics used in parts to prevent snapping when being removed
• Introduce an AR magazine and get AR specialists involved too
Given the chance I will think of more ways to improve the brand too and these are in no particular order. I know Porsche and everyone else has made a fortune over the SUV epidemic but the world is finally realising that diesel is bad. So is weight and Alfa Romeo’s key values should be much better enforced when they run on petrol, (for the time being), with a manual gearbox and analogue dials. The development of the 1.75 turbo unit is excellent but this looses out when it is put in a larger car.
Mark Scotchford © 25/06/2015